The diagnosis of skin cancer is a life altering event. Sunflower Dermatology is equipped to provide competent, comprehensive care to achieve the best outcome – a cure.
Dr. Matthys, our onsite dermatologist in our Riverside, Missouri office, employs a revolutionary procedure called Mohs surgery that helps to ensure the complete removal of the cancer before the patient leaves our office. This surgical dermatology procedure increases chances for a complete cure and relieves patient anxiety previously associated with waiting to see if the cancer is totally removed. Sunflower Dermatology also removes skin lesions that are not cancer whether its a growing mole, acne cyst, or any unwanted skin growth, you can count on Sunflower Dermatology to exceed your expectations.
Sunflower Dermatology & Medical Day Spa recommends everyone should have a full body skin exam. This full body skin exam should be performed by a dermatologist or dermatology trained provider. We further recommend that patients with a history of skin cancer have a full body skin exam more frequently.
Following are several important skin cancer facts, courtesy of the Skin Cancer Foundation:
- One of every five people gets skin cancer.
- The most common types of skin cancer include: Basal Cell Carcinoma, Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Malignant Melanoma.
- 50% of people who live to be 65 will have either a Basal, or Squamous Cell, Carcinoma
- 2,500 people die every year from Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
- The cost to treat non-melanoma skin cancer is greater than 1 billion dollars/ year. Malignant melanoma is the most common cancer for young adults (25-29) and the second most common cancer for adolescents, and adults aged 15-29.
- Regular use of a tanning bed increases risk of melanoma by 74%. One blistering sunburn in childhood, or adolescence, more than doubles the risk of Malignant melanoma.
- One person in the USA dies each hour of Malignant melanoma.
You can learn more facts at www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-facts
Cosmetic Mole Removal
Some patients wish to remove moles they feel are unsightly or bothersome. We use a local anesthetic to numb the area before surgically removing the mole. This simple procedure can be done during a regular office visit.
Sunflower Dermatology provides complete, comprehensive, and compassionate care in the treatment and cure of basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma skin cancer. Sunflower Dermatology offers Mohs Surgery in our Riverside, MO office. This procedure provides the highest cure rate for cancer and allows our physician, Dr. Matthys, to be a surgeon and pathologist.
Mohs skin cancer surgery is an in-office procedure that can take up to 3 hours. Patients should take all medicines the day of surgery, and can have breakfast, or lunch, before the procedure. After the patient and physician confirm the site of the skin cancer, a tissue sample will be taken and processed in our in-office laboratory.
Dr. Matthys will review the microscope slides to confirm complete resolution of the skin cancer. If the skin cancer is completely removed, there will be a discussion about how to close the area. If additional skin cancer is identified, Dr. Matthys can remove the cancerous portion, leaving only healthy tissue behind.